Monday, January 11, 2010

The Weekend

Rachel and I have been incredibly social this past weekend (at least by our humble standards). On Thursday, as I said last time, Justin and Kyle were around. This past Friday we went with Russell to see Avatar in 3D at an incredibly swanky (and expensive!) theater in St. Louis Park. This theater was so swanky that they not only had assigned seating inside the theater but also had an option to upgrade to a VIP ticket which would let you have access to a cash bar while the movie is going on. Crazy, no?

---
Anyway, quick movie review:
  • very pretty; the visuals were gorgeous, the 3D added to the effect and wasn't annoying, and everything either had a sense of gritty sci-fi or wonderful alienness
  • ok plot; stolen from Pocahontas, Fern Gully and half a dozen other films/stories over the years. Still a good story, but definitely derivative.
  • overall- worth your money, especially 3D version.
---

Then on Saturday we had the gang over to watch Labyrinth in celebration of David Bowie's birthday on Friday. I had never seen the film before, so I had no idea what to expect. After the movie, I still have no idea what to expect. It was that trippy. Entertaining, in the cult classic and awesomeness of Jim Henson kind of way, but very, very trippy.


Finally, on Sunday Rachel and I got to play hero twice. First was an unprecedented going into work on Sunday to help out one of my students with her college applications. Rachel was great with her, and between the two of us we managed to get three of her applications finished before her due date on Monday. Later that evening our housemate Zoe created a big, deep slice into her finger when trying to open a can. After some doctoral consultation she and I headed out to the hospital to get it all stitched up. My job there seemed solely to keep her knowledgeable of the fact that she was not going to die or be horribly scarred from this minor wound. As I said to her "Dumb things happen to smart people all the time..." and went on to relate several instances in which that exact thing has happened to me and people that I know.

Well, that's all the news from Minneapolis. Next time there will be some pics from over Winter break that I've been wanting to get out there for a while. Until next time...

"We find not much in ourselves to admire, we are always privately wanting to be like somebody else. If everybody was satisfied with himself there would be no heroes."
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

No comments: