Wednesday, January 20, 2010

MLK Day

"It's a day on, not a day off!"

That's Americorps's way of dealing with MLK day. Since Dr. King dedicated his life to the service of others, we should do the same on the day set aside to remember him.

Last year I helped refurbish computers over at the U of M, but this year I decided to attend the rally that is held at Central High School in St. Paul. There were lots of speakers and performers, elected officials and many calls for action. All of the activities centered around the march from Central High School to Concordia College, which was meant to recreate the march from Selma to Montgomery during the Civil Rights movement.


 
 
Of the speakers I really enjoyed the keynote speaker, Nekima Levy-Pounds. She spoke on many of the same issues as Geoffrey Canada did on Friday, and it was great to hear yet again that the choice I am making is one that really does have a lot of worth and necessity in today's society.




Later that evening we had a game night and managed to get Ben Lurie, Jen Bigelow and Becca Hahn over to our house to play games. We settled on a game that I had never played before called Dominion, which is basically a game focused on making a deck of cards perform as quickly and reliably as possible. The tricky part is that the cards that help you purchase things in game don't do anything to help you win and vice versa. Also, the cards available change each time you play it, leading to new combinations that you can try to exploit in your ever growing deck. The first game I played I lost quite poorly, but when I started winning very quickly the second game Russell burst out with a tirade on how I master games far too quickly.

I think that I'll choose to take that as a compliment. :)

Until next time...

"So far as I can see, a procession has value in but two ways--as a show and as a symbol, its minor function being to delight the eye, its major one to compel thought, exalt the spirit, stir the heart, and inflame the imagination. As a mere show, and meaningless--like a Mardi-Gras march--a magnificent procession is worth a long journey to see; as a symbol, the most colorless and unpicturesque procession, if it have a moving history back of it, is worth a thousand of it."
- "Queen Victoria's Jubilee" by Mark Twain

No comments: