Friday, January 8, 2010

Lots of snow fell today, making travel a very interesting proposition for all involved. At one point I was stuck behind a UPS truck trying to make it over a small incline. It succeeded after 3 stoplights, at which point I almost got stuck. And it's always a disconcerting feeling to see the taxi cab in front of you fish tail and spin out on the way to work...

But the big part about today was that Justin and Kyle were in town! For those not in the know, Justin is an old friend of Rachel's from back in Duluth and Kyle was one of my Physics buddies at Carleton, and they moved to San Francisco this past Fall. They were hanging out in Superior and Northfield and managed to find time to hang out in Minneapolis somewhere in between. I met up with them and Sophie at Chiang Mai Thai for some delicious Thai food served to us by what was probably the classiest waiter in Minneapolis. Just something about his appearance and mannerisms struck us all as incredibly classy. We talked about how things were going with them- Kyle seems pretty happy with his job and apparently gets to make apps for the Droid, while Justin is enjoying law school. I almost killed Kyle a couple of times when we mentioned how warm it was in California this time of year, but the necessities of politeness to one's guests got in the way...

Something definitely on my list to do now is to purchase some ice skates, as Sophie wants someone to be comically bad at skating with at our local park. I think I can be up to that challenge.

But it's late now, and I should go to bed. Until next time...

"I have done more for San Francisco than any other of its old residents. Since I left there it has increased in population fully 300,000. I could have done more -- I could have gone earlier -- it was suggested."
- undated letter quoted in Mark Twain: A Biography

No comments: