Friday, August 29, 2008

Not too much to report from today, though I did do some pretty cool things. I spent most of the morning watching Venture Bros. on SurfTheChannel, and then headed out to Lake Calhoun for some exercise. The lake is located approximately 5 blocks from my house, and is pretty awesome. There are over 3 miles of biking and walking trails around it, and plenty of spots for swimming. It was an almost perfect day, with plenty of blue sky and lots of sun. I decided to circumnavigate the lake, and at the half way point did some laps of the enclosed deep water swimming area. I was afraid that the water was going to be too cold, but I was pleasantly surprised with almost perfect temperature water.

That evening Rachel, Jason and I made delicious Thanksgiving sandwiches, which are sandwiches with turkey, lettuce, cranberry sauce, cream cheese, and optional grapes on them. Really delicious and really quick- I suggest you try them out.

After this we walked up to William's bar in Uptown to see the last speeches of the Democratic National Convention. The bar is pretty amazing- they have over 300 different kinds of beer, and a downstairs peanut bar that has at least 20 beers on tap. I ended up ordering an Anchor Porter, an authentic Belgian abbey ale, and even a beer from Africa called Tusker. The convention was pretty amazing- everybody made really good speeches, especially the spattering of middle and low class America that was invited to talk on stage and of course the man himself. Barak and his people seemed to hit on a lot of the areas that I care about, especially foreign policy and veterans' affairs. I hope he can follow through on all of those pledges he made, so for right now I think I'm going to cautiously throw my hat in the ring with him. Cautiously, because I hate the political party system and loathe having to support one of the Big Two, but unfortunately what are you going to do...

Then again, we have the Republican National Convention coming to St. Paul in just a few days, and we all know what a spectacle that will be. Stay tuned for more information on my plans for the RNC, because what else am I going to do with my last week before work starts? So, until next time...

"To lodge all power in one party and keep it there is to insure bad government and the sure and gradual deterioration of the public morals."
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

No comments: