Sunday, May 23, 2010

Epic

Hey all, long time since I've posted. Lots of stuff has been happening such as:

  • went to see M. Butterfly at the Guthrie thanks to Rachel's parents- it was an awesome show!
  • saw Iron Man 2, which was silly-awesome as I expected it to be.
  • went on a trip to Wisconsin with my CTEP people and had a nice day helping out on a farm and then spending the night in a cabin.
  • have been doing a lot of planning for the summer at work, including what will hopefully be a youth curriculum based on the World Cup
  • saw a movie called The Secret of Kells, which was an animated film about the Book of Kells
But besides all of this I have been applying at a place called Epic, which makes software for large and medium sized hospitals and other medical firms. Everything about the place screams "mini-Google" to me, from the drive to have a creative and hard working environment to the plethora of quirky perks, including a room full of toys, onsite oil changes and dry cleaning, employee common interest groups and bike trails leading to the campus that are cleared of snow by 4:30 in the morning. Plus, if for some reason I end up working there for 5 years I get a 4 week paid sabbatical to go... well, anywhere! And they foot the travel bill! They also have a huge drive towards sustainability and are situated on 500 acres of farmland and... yeah, they sound awesome. 

I'm currently in the middle of applying for the technical writer (or "word artist" as they call it) position, which sounds like something right up my alley. The interview process, though, appears to be a bear. The steps I have gone through already are the application, a personality test, a phone interview and now I am apparently being scheduled for written tests. I assume there will also be an onsite interview as well. Still, from what I've heard they take care of their people once you get in, so I'm excited to have made it this far.

I'll keep you all informed in the future on how the job front goes. I'm beginning to look at a few other options with Rachel's help, but I really, really hope I get this job.

No comments: