Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Heute ist einen Scheisstag

I'm going to try more regular, shorter posts, so let me know how it's working out. Today is already a pretty bad day. Had a class this morning that kind of worked- all three of my students showed up at different times and basically had solo lessons, though one of them was distracted by her two kids. I guess it went ok, but I feel I was mostly just talking and not teaching. Need to rework the lesson to get more interactivity methinks...

So it was kind of beneficial I guess that this afternoon I was 0/10 on my students for their first class, so I ended up helping out with the Math group because one of my colleagues was feeling sick up there. It was a bit chaotic- language barriers and a few too many people created a bit of an oppressive environment. We really, really need a volunteer there, but who knows if we're ever going to get one. I get the feeling that I'm the only one of the three who knows what he's doing and actually thinks about the class when it's not happening as I don't see lesson planning happening. I'm unsure of what to do for that though- one person hasn't had training yet (though I should encourage her to do so soon) and the other... gah. We got some problems with that one.

So in essence- too much going on at work to actually plan for work. I need to have a meeting with my colleagues for the math class and work something out, as our current system can't handle more than two groups at once. I need to call all my students and make them sign blood pacts that they are going to show up to class. And I need to rework my lessons to have a greater degree of interactivity. Oy. Freakading. Vey. Maria.

Sorry about the negative nature of this post- I had a great day yesterday, but so far today has been weighing heavily on me and I needed to get it out. Also it's really incredibly gloomy outside today, which certainly didn't help matters. I'll work on some more cheerful posts soon.

Until next time...

"The rain is famous for falling on the just and unjust alike, but if I had the management of such affairs I would rain softly and sweetly on the just, but if I caught a sample of the unjust out doors I would drown him."
- quoted in My Father Mark Twain, Clara Clemens

p.s. Deutsche sprecheren- der Tag oder das Tag? Ich kann es nicht erinneren.

No comments: