Thursday, July 17, 2008

A funny thing happens when I'm bored...

Hey all, nothing much to report today; just cleaning up the house and taking care of all of the little things that seem to be passing me by (like looking at grad schools, cashing checks, etc.), and of course can't wait for Dark Knight tomorrow. I've also been watching a lot of Big Bang Theory; hilarious show, highly recommend it, at least for those with more of a geek bent (what am I talking about- I know my audience...). Also watched Dr. Horrible act II... man, I wanna be a super-villain now... well, not that I haven't always wanted to be one...

But kind of speaking of that, I was reading Jared's blog today and he was talking about something that really struck a chord with me. I've always had a very active imagination, and to avoid boredom while doing nothing/menial tasks I've had it work on various projects throughout the years. A few of these projects have actually seen fruition, like new Magic deck ideas, a cool sketch to do or a ridiculous romantic gesture to perform. However, the majority of these little projects are centered around world building and never see the light of day. What I'll often do is create one character or concept and have the world shape around him/her/it through little flashbacks into the character/concepts development. This way the world gets populated with other characters that make sense in context with my main guy/thing, and I'll run and redo different plot segments centering around them as my mind wanders. I've never done anything with these worlds except for my occasional doomed forays into dungeon mastering, and those were the result of thinking about specific RPG game systems. I guess the reason I don't do anything with them is that I know that they can't be as cool as they are in my head, and that real plot development requires more than a few snapshots of a characters life; there need to be events that lead up to them. So, instead of exerting any real effort into my creations I just let them stay daydreams and replay scenes in my head.

That is, until now. Maybe. All I know is, for the first time I've actually started writing down some of the stuff I've been thinking about. I don't know if I'll actually do anything with them, but it might serve as an interesting diversion in the coming weeks or months... or it might just fade away like so many of these little head projects do. I'll keep you updated if anything pops up that I feel particularly proud about.

Well, that's about it. Until next time,

"Now, isn't imagination a precious thing? It peoples the earth with all manner of wonders, strange beasts and birds, angels, cherubim and seraphim. And it has to be exercised. No child should be permitted to grow up without exercise for imagination. It enriches life for him. It makes things wonderful and beautiful."
- speech in Elmira, April 1907 (reprinted in Mark Twain in Elmira by Jerome & Wisbey)

No comments: