Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Steamy Valentine's Weekend

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the blog! This past weekend Rachel and I got all gussied up, and I figured it would be a perfect time to get back into this whole blogging thing.

Every so often the Madison Children's Museum hosts what they call an "Adult Swim" night, where adults can wander around the museum without any kiddies and with the aid of alcoholic drinks. This time they had a theme night focusing on the Victorian sci-fi concept known as Steampunk. Rachel and I are, well, not so closeted Steampunk afficionados and jumped at the chance to show off our historically inaccurate selves.

Unfortunately Rachel has not historically had access to quality Steampunk gear, so I've been showing her up at any event that we've attended with my naturally occurring Victorian wardrobe. Well, Rachel was determined to change that this time...

Say hello to Captain Amelia of her royal Majesty's Air Brigade!


Cpt. Amelia doesn't take prisoners, only hearts.

I had to at least try to keep up, but I knew that it just wasn't going to be possible.


There were plenty of strange machines to play around with...
I found this one hilarious: a literal punch buggy! 
They have a large enclosed jungle gym/climbing tree, but I suspect it was more designed for children and not for adults wearing top hats...
Even Daleks like to get steamy on occasion! 


These people won the costume contest (Rachel got to compete!). They were set up as phrenologists, and the guy had some ridiculously cool work done on his leg made from scrap metal.
And there was a guy wandering around on a velocipede. Yay steampunk!
Thanks for reading, and see you next time! 

1 comment:

Rachel Teagle said...

Captain Amelia! I shall prepare to be boarded..