Monday, January 12, 2009

Not much to report over the past couple of days. Work at Skyline has been kind of a roller coaster recently- on Wednesday one of my headphones was stolen by a particularly ballsy kid, which put me in a pretty bad mood, but on Saturday my students actually showed up, brought more students, and we had a really nice class where I taught them to surf the web in cool new ways. Now on Monday the internet in the lab is down on 6/9 computers. The other 3 do, but when we tried switching the router on and off 1 of the 3 working computers stopped working and one of the disfunctional 6 started functioning, leaving me with no choice but to wait for IT.

IT and I have a special relationship now. I send them requests, and they comply with about half the request right away, but then take forever on the second half. 3 months ago I asked IT to take in a computer and fix it, which they did promptly. I still don't have the computer back, and to my knowledge it hasn't been fixed yet, leaving me with 9/10 computers in the lab. Other times they'll fix my half of the internet but screw everybody else in the building. I'm just hoping that the guy will be here quickly and fix the problem quickly, or I could have a mutiny on my hands.

Now for your geek report. The war is going badly for the Eldar. Even with evenly matched forces I can't seem to pull even a close match out against the daemonic horde. The autarchs have decreed that scatter lasers will win the day against our foes, but my hope for the two battles tonight are few and far between. Where tactics fail, strategy will have to win the day. Unfettered expansion on my western and southern borders will have to be enough to carry us through this long night. Meanwhile in Granada my brother/ghoul Niccolo has fallen to the unclean hands of William, Nosferatu primogen and all around dirty, evil Englishman. Massimo has gone into mourning, but will now use his increased wealth to hire and ghoul/embrace an army to take down William and anyone else who was implicit in Nico's death. Other weapons will have to be sharpened as well, in the event of the eventual fallout. Elsewhere, in the far North of the United States, on the shores of one of the Greatest Lakes of the World, a musty, black and white tome with the picture of a raven on the cover has been opened, its words sowing the seeds for a Year of Frost, itself merely the harbinger to a Day of Iron... have I mentioned I like foreshadowing?

Until next time...

"In America, we hurry--which is well; but when the day's work is done, we go on thinking of losses and gains, we plan for the morrow, we even carry our business cares to bed with us...we burn up our energies with these excitements, and either die early or drop into a lean and mean old age at a time of life which they call a man's prime in Europe...What a robust people, what a nation of thinkers we might be, if we would only lay ourselves on the shelf occasionally and renew our edges!"
- The Innocents Abroad, by Mark Twain

No comments: